Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day: Oatmeal Lace Cookies

This is my favorite Valentine's Day gift from my husband from a few years' back. He tracked this volume of the Southern Heritage Southern Living series down. That wasn't easy - this seems to be the most popular volume of a popular series. In it are many cookie recipes I've done easily and successfully.

This is from the "Good - And Good For You" chapter. I don't know about that, but I love Oatmeal Cookies.
Oatmeal Lace Cookies (because they end up looking kind of lacy).

Oatmeal Lace Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Gradually add sugar to egg in a medium mixing bowl, beating well.  Add melted butter, mixing well.  Combine oats, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg:  add to egg mixture, beating well.  Stir in vanilla.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 350F for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks.  Yield:  about 4 dozen.


3 comments:

Maryann said...

Yum! I have had these and they are so much more than "just" oatmeal cookies. Sadly I had lost my recipe. Now I can make them again! Thanks...

Unknown said...

When you say oats do you mean rolled oats or can you buy unrolled oats?

I so want to try these!

Much healthier than mine at least: http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-cookies.html

Kathleen Ernst said...

Ooh, you can't beat oatmeal cookies. Thanks!