Friday, February 11, 2011

Retro Crafting: Quilled Hearts

These are photos from folks at my Retro Crafting shows. Their output is always better than my sample. Quilling is the art of winding thin strips of paper around a goose quill, and it's been around for centuries. For my shows, I do a modified version where we wrap strips around pencils. I got the strips from Jo-Anns online but you could use any paper cut into 1/4" or 5/8" inch strips.
To make a heart, wrap the end of a strip around a pencil. Then wrap the other end, and pinch the v in the middle. To glue, I use a glue stick and put down a heart shape then press the quilled strip to it. There are precision gluing tools but this is a fast and easy way to learn.  The last picture here is the quilled heart I've described but you can see that my students did awesome variations. The middle picture shows someone trying new shapes from my handout. Try a search online of "quilled heart shapes" for more ideas.


No comments: