Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Handwritten Recipe Wednesday: Grandma Curtin's Pound Cake

My parents sold their house a couple weeks ago and we've been cleaning out. I got Mom's recipe box and her cookbooks. I found this recipe for Pound Cake in my Mom's writing, with a note that it is Grandma Curtin's recipe on the back. This looks delicious.


Pound Cake
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup milk
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg yolks and vanilla and beat well.  Add sifted dry ingredients alternately in thirds with milk, beating well until smooth after each addition. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Spread mixture in lightly greased 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour, 15 minutes.

I enjoyed doing my Celebrations show at the Grayslake Area PLD yesterday morning. Then I went to work in my vintage clothes. Only a few folks noticed. One friend asked if it was a new dress. I said "Yes, and no..."

4 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

This sounds amazing, and with strawberry season just around the corner, I can only imagine how wonderful this will taste loaded with fat Michigan strawberries and real whipped cream. Yum!

Anne Ylvisaker said...

What a treasure to have your mom and grandma's writing on that recipe!

I have sweet sweet strawberries from last night's farmer's market that would be great on that cake. Want to get on your magic carpet and fly over for coffee break? :)

Kathleen Ernst said...

I love these handwritten ones. What a treasure!

Amy said...

How funny that you both thought of strawberries. Me too! Now I want some... I sure do wish I could fly out to CA and join you, Anne!