Sunday, September 24, 2006

Esther Failed Me!

Readers of this blog know that my favorite modern cookbooks are any of Esther Brody's baking books and Linda William's Muffin Lady, and that they turn out of the best of my creations. So - I made Chocolate Chip Meringue Squares from Esther's 500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares. Now probably I should have stopped right there - I mean, meringue on top of bars? Meringue, like chiffon, also means very messy. So I made the dough, and put a layer of chocolate chip meringue on top, and the bottom layer was RAW after baking. No amount of extra cooking would have helped that dish.

It looks ok here, yet, but then I cut into it. ICK. The bit my son and I tasted was way too sweet. I can't believe an Esther recipe went so horribly askew.


Moving on. I had to go to one of my son's friends parties over the weekend and made Peanut Butter Brownies from my Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies Cook Book from 1975. I've used this book on here before.

1/4 cup shortening
2 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
salt
16 oz.can of chocolate frosting
2 tablespoons peanut butter
I made 1.5 times this recipe to fit it into my 9X13 pan instead of the 9X9 they suggest.

Melt shortening with chocolate; remove from heat. Blend in sugar and 1/4 cup peanut butter. Add eggs and vanilla; beat smooth. Stir together flour, soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir into batter. Spread into greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes; cool. Mix frosting and 2 tablespoons peanut butter; spread on cookies. Top with chopped nuts - I used Halloween sprinkles instead.

Now, when this came out of the oven it was all sunken and I had my doubts. However, a little frosting and it was looking good enough to bring to the party. The bars were delicious.

No comments: