Monday, October 02, 2006

Back from Boucheron



I attended Bouchercon, the big mystery conference over the weekend. It was my pleasure to host a panel on writing for kids and teens with Kathleen Ernst, Stacey Cochran, Daniel J. Hale, and Pete Hautman. I have moderated many many panels in different conferences, and spoken on some too - but this was one of the best. No one tried to take over, and everyone had something different and interesting to contribute. It was an honor to do this one. Read all their books - you won't be sorry! I will write more about this event in coming days but am pretty burned out. I have to gear up for the Illinois Lib. Association conference this year, too.

While I was there, I got a bit conferenced out one afternoon in Madison, WI, and discovered the Historical Society Museum. I was amused to find out that their display of a kitchen from 1990 looks exactly like mine...

I did purchase a couple cookbooks at the museum gift store, including "Depression Era Recipes, " by Patricia Wagner. Last night my son and I made the Peanut Butter Muffins from that book, and I added chocolate chips just on top. Here they are in my pumpkin muffin tins.

2 c. flour

1 T baking powder

1/3 c. sugar

1 t. salt

2 eggs

1/4 c. peanut butter

2/3 c. milk

1/2 c. water

2 T butter, melted

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat eggs; add peanut butter, milk, water and butter; beat well. Add peanut butter mixture to flour mixture, beating only until blended. Grease muffin tins and fill 2/3 full. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with butter and grape jelly - the kids really like this!

OK - the adults liked it too. These muffins are dense and have a nice texture. The chocolate chips sprinkled on top just before baking add something as well.

I literally brought home 40 books from B'con. I read Maggie Sefton's latest knitting mystery already. I heard her speak, too - she was terrific!

No comments: