Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Long Time No Cook


I was at the Illinois Library Association conference last week and feel like it has taken me a while to recover from the last two weeks. It was a wonderful conference. A highlight was receiving the Davis Cup Award for Youth Serving Librarians. I made an awesome dress for the breakfast, if I do say so myself, and it was wonderful to have family and colleagues there to support me. I can't describe the feeling other than to say I am so honored. I received a check and a silver engraved bowl. My son asked if it hooked up to the mixer! I have high hopes for his future cooking skills!

Sunday my husband, son and I tried a Halloween candy making kit. It turned out fairly well. Yes! I made candy. We microwaved the discs and piped them into molds. Then we ate most in one sitting...

I'm working on a new variation of mini cheesecakes for a Christmas cookie contest. Now these are mint chocolate mini cheesecakes. I started making them, then realized my peppermint extract was dried up. I just happened to have mint chips, and these are pretty tasty, though I will put down a little less mint chips in the contest form. Now I just have to write a one page essay about cooking and I'm in.


I just read and reviewed the latest Gossip Girl. It is clear that a man is now writing this for a lot of reasons, including language, attitudes towards sexuality and more. Alloy needs a few new writers or they will lose their fans with this series, I think. The series could also use a few new plots and/or characters. I miss Cecily, the original writer. When I think of all the times I have defended this series I get irritated that it is now fufilling some of the trashy things the media has said about it. At least there are still plenty of fun spin-off series.

1 comment:

Joe said...

One need only look towards Rock and Roll Nights. Now, that is some teen fiction to sink your teeth into :). Average teen by day, rock star by night! Gossip Schmossip, I say.