Saturday, November 18, 2006

Chip Candy

I put in my catering order yesterday for Thanksgiving, but I'm still looking for pumpkin pies. Dare I try them? I think I'd better order some. I will make a great yams and apple dish that my family has been using for years, though.
I am calling these Chip Candy. I pulled a recipe called "Butterfinger Mounds" off of Anna Ginsberg's site from March. Anna is the 2006 Pillsbury Bake-Off winner - and she bakes EVERY DAY. She had adapted the recipe from a book "Cookies by the Dozen", and I am changing it again. I am getting ready for some holiday cookie exchanges as I mentioned here.

My friend Kim sent me some wonderful recipes that she says people fight over when she makes them. They are somewhat elaborate, and I am proud that Kim thinks I can pull them off!
In the meantime, here is Chip Candy:
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups corn flakes (I used Total honey flakes as that's what I had)

Place butter, sugar and corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 and a half minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in chips until melted. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Chill until firm.

This is a great one to do with an enthusiastic preschooler. At the adoption auction last night I was chagrined to see lots of "mother and daughter" and "father and son" matching aprons. My husband offered to bid on the father and son ones which were cute, but I think I can do better. If baking pans had been included in the lots, that would have been something else all together.

I am going to use holiday sprinkles on this cookie/candy before my party. These made about 28 - I increased the recipe because if I'm going to dirty and clean pots, measuring stuff, etc. - I need more than a dozen...

I'm reading the Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin. It's time for my mystery column for Crimespree to be due again, so it's mystery city here. Suddenly I'm looking for clues everywhere. I was dusting yesterday and was wondering if any fingerprints would show up.

No comments: