Monday, November 20, 2006

Triple Fudge Brownies

No, this is not the Triple Fudge Brownies. Can you guess? This is like an edible psychological inkblot test...

My sister gave my son some colored dough and while I was busy making wreaths and snowmen, he made these. There were a few like this. When they came out of the oven, he asked to eat his rainbow dinosaur. Clearly he's a Picasso in the making.

I whipped up some Triple Fudge Brownies yesterday for my niece's birthday at school, as my sister had no time with a brand new baby in the house. These are from the Recipe Hall of Fame Quick and Easy Cookbook, 2001.

1 (3.9) package instant chocolate pudding mix (good luck finding it at the grocery store at this time of year, though)

1 (18.25 oz.) package chocolate cake mix

2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips

Confectioners' sugar

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Whisk in cake mix. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased 10x15x1 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yields 4 dozen.

Now, I brought chocolate frosting, birthday sprinkles, and pink aerosol decorator spray for my niece to decorate as she chooses, instead of using the powdered sugar. This was fast and easy, as the book promises.

I read Nancy Werlin's Rules of Survival this morning while my son watched the Cars movie for the 18th time. I expected it to be a mystery as that is what she is known for, and while it was suspenseful, it was not a mystery. It is a story of two teens and how they try to protect their younger sister from their crazy, abusive mother. It was a finalist for the National Book Awards this year. Werlin's characters are always flawed yet powerful. But I still have to read and review 6 - 8 mysteries by Friday...

No comments: