Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Yummy Christmas

On December 23, we were frazzled and sick of being trapped in the house. My husband suggested that I stop in this antique shop we've been passing on the road for the last few months. It is part of a gas station. Yes, that's right - back to back with the car wash. It has it's own separate store, and it was wonderful. It was filled with lovely dishes, vintage wear, decorations and more. I found a shelf only of cookbooks, but I could have purchased every one of them. One I've been wanting for a while was there, but I couldn't pay the amount specified. I never pay more than $5 for my cookbooks, with few exceptions. It's part of the game.

Anyway, I picked up three gems:
Betty Crocker Picture Cooky Book - 1948
Betty Crocker's Cooking Calendar - 1962
Farm Journal Cooking for Company - 1968

Then, my husband game me a cookie cookbook for Christmas, among other things. It is the "Blue Ribbon Cookies" from 1988 - state fair winners. What a perfect gift.

I had no time to try a new recipe, but made "Chocolate Yummies" for a family gathering yesterday. These are from the Betty Crocker's Cooky Book I've referred to here. Remember - my library has a copy of this one in the REFERENCE section. These are easy, no-bake, and great:
1 pkg. (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/3 cup butter or margarine
16 large marshmallows (I used the colored holiday ones and threw in a bunch more as it didn't look like enough)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut (In the midwest we have only the choice of buying packaged shredded)
2 cups rolled oats (quick or old-fashioned)

Melt chocolate pieces, butter, and marshmallows in double boiler; stir until smooth. Remove from heat. (Chocolate-butter-marshmallow mixture may separate but will hold together when rest of ingredients are added. Book's note, not mine) Stir in vanilla, coconut, and oats. Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls on waxed paper. Refrigerate. Makes 3 doz. cookies. (I ended up with 40, even with eating some.)

These taste like the Girl Scouts' S'mores cookies.

I can't get into any book lately. I've picked up and put down several. I'm going to try Slay Ride by Chris Grabenstein today. I heard him run an auction at Bouchercon in September, and he is one of the funniest authors I've ever heard.

No comments: