Thursday, December 21, 2006

Another Delicious Wheel

After some last minute X-mas errands this morning I found myself at the used bookstore, where I purchased 3 more cookbooks. This is from Betty Crocker's Family Dinners in a Hurry, c1973. When I saw the picture of this wheel, I had to have it. Some of you readers may remember my fabulous sausage wheel from the summer entries. This is "Ham Chuck Wagon Special." Nothing says fine dining like "Chuck Wagon". The allusion to canned ham also adds to the ambience. Plus, I'd have to say, the color and style of that pot are pretty nasty. I couldn't scan the cover, though, which was even worse - as there was too much brown!

Here's the recipe:
Cut 8 strips, each by 3 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 (I ask you, who is going to measure that out?) inch, from 1 pound cooked ham or 1 can (12 ounces) (gross) pork luncheon meat; cut remaining meat into cubes.
Prepare 1 package (8 oz.) macaroni and Cheddar dinner as directed for saucepan method except - stir in cubed meat and 1/4 cup chopped green pepper with the sauce mix. Pour into ungreasd 1 1/2 quart casserole and arrange meat strips in spoke design on top.
Heat uncovered in 350 degree oven 5 minutes or until strips are heated through.
4 or 5 servings

Variations include Frankfurter Chuck Wagon Special (we all know that you can't have a vintage cookbooks that doesn't have a Frankfurter dinner in it somewhere); Tuna Chuck Wagon Special and Chicken Chuck Wagon Special. This is supposed to be served with 'smoky green beans', 'gold rush pear salad' and 'branded ice-cream brownies,' by the way. I would assume you need to dress in Western wear also.

I may try this recipe; I'm not sure I have the stomach for it, though!

Yee haw!

I'm reading the latest Laurien Berenson, Chow Down. I am not a big dog lover, but her dog show mysteries are great. This is like the 10th in the series or something like that. I once ran into a dog show competitior who was surprised at all I knew about it just from reading these!

No comments: