Friday, March 02, 2007

Better Than ? Cake


This picture is a bit fuzzy because the corner of the cake is not covered in green coconut. My husband does not like a lot of coconut.
This is the "Better Than ? Cake" from The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook by Anne Byrn. I have many books from her series, and have given tons of these as gifts.
I needed to use up a can of pineapple in my pantry, and looked through my Southern Heritage books. I found a recipe for Pineapple Pound Cake using 6 eggs, and another that had to be sifted 3 times. Forget it. I was having company for lunch, and had to clean too.
This cake is good, but it's not Better Than...
Vegetable Oil Spray for misting the pan (What? I'd love to see someone 'mist' Pam spray.)
1 package (18.25 oz.) plain yellow cake mix
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter (I used margarine) - melted
1 cup whole milk (I used skim)
3 large eggs
Topping:
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple packed in juice, undrained (I had cut pineapple, not crushed)
1 cup sugar
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
3 cups whole milk (I used two , as the instant pudding box said, skim again)
coconut (green dye if you like St. Pat's Day and your Irish Mother is coming over)
The recipe adds whipped topping and pecans. I had neither, also I don't like them in recipes.
Preheat oven to 350. I did 355 to not have a repeat of earlier in the week... Lightly mist the 13x9 pan (or spray then wipe with paper towel).
Place the cake mix, melted butter, milk, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed one minute. Stop and scrape down sides, then turn mixer back on to medium speed and beat for another two minutes. Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. (um, mine was like liquid, no smoothing needed)
Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with finger - 28 - 32 minutes. Or, in my oven, 36 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the topping (there is even time to start some laundry, put in a Toy Story movie, and quick clean a small bathroom).
Place the pineapple with its juice and the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the mixture just comes to a boil. The book says 2 minutes - it took me about 10.
Remove the cake from the oven when done and immediately poke holes in the top with a drinking straw or chopstick. My son and I poked holes all the way to the bottom. Hmm... Spoon the pineapple and sugar mixture evenly over the top of cake. Resist the urge to taste, it's really really really sweet.
Place the pudding mix and cold milk in bowl and blend according to package directions. Spread the pudding over the pineapple layer with a spatula. Place the pan in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
After that, I sprinkled the dyed coconut on top.
This was very tasty and moist. I served it in some of my frosted green vintage banana split boat dishes. You may want to use a spoon to eat it.
I'm in review mode again - tons of teen books, especially mysteries. More on that soon.

No comments: