Monday, February 26, 2007

Another Bad Baking Adventure


I think it's been so long since one of my bad baking experiences, that I was getting cocky. Last night I made the red velvet bars, the big heart chocolate chip cookie, and thought "this is too easy." I needed those treats for two group meetings today and tonight.
On to this morning. I wanted to make something for my family to have at home. I pulled out my new vintage Cookie Jar book (see Valentine's Day entries), and tried what I thought was an easy recipe.
Peanut Butter Squares
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar (yep, an entire cup)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (What's the point of packing it? I just double the amount and spoon it in.
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Combine peanut butter and butter in a large mixing bowl; beat well. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, beating well. (we get it already) Stir in vanilla.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl; gradually add to peanut butter mixture, stirring well after each addition. Fold in chocolate morsels.
Spoon (or dump) mixture into a well-greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan; cut into 1 1/2 inch squares. Yield: about 3 dozen.
OK - I think I used an 8-inch pan, but still, after 45 minutes the middle was still oozing. I added another ten minutes and then it was at least safe to eat. My son liked this a lot, I really didn't. It tasted weird for some reason - too much sugar possibly.
I read the new Hamish MacBeth by M.C. Beaton in like two hours yesterday - during commercials of the Academy Awards, and of course during the speeches, which I mute. I did like some of the gowns - like Jodie Foster's and Reese's. Also Kate Winslet's mint green gown. What was up with everyone's long straight hair, though? As someone with frizzy thick brown-black hair, this will never be a look I admire. Beyonce looked great before she went crazy moving while singing. Did everyone notice how her hair was then stuck in her eyelashes?
Seriously, though, I am gearing up big time for Dancing With the Stars. I work Monday nights, but it will be ok to just zip through commercials after I tape it. I will just have to call to vote for Billy Ray and Apollo from behind the Readers Desk at the library without seeing their performances.

No comments: