Sunday, April 22, 2007

More S'mores

I've been having computer issues, and they continue but I finally got in here with my laptop, so pictures are a bit of an issue for now. But - my craving for s'mores continues. I purchased regular marshmallows, graham crackers, and plain Hershey's. It's fun to see how long the marshmallows should go in the microwave before blowing.

Going through some of my cookbooks has garnered an unusual S'mores recipe: S'more Sundae. This is from Diner Desserts, a 2000 title by Tish Doyle, and one of my few modern cookbooks. Of course, it is about vintage style diners and recipes.

Graham cracker peanut layer: 6 whole graham crackers, coarsely broken; 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts; 1 Tbsp. granulate sugar; 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Whipped Cream: 1 cup heavy cream (ok this is like a week's worth of Weight Watchers points, so enjoy this food); 2 Tbsp. sugar
Assembly: 1 cup marshmallow spread such as Marshmallow Fluff (also good if you are having a colonoscopy soon); 1 cup chocolate sauce; 8 scoops vanilla fudge swirl or rocky road ice cream
Garnish: 1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts; 4 maraschino cherries

Now this recipe goes on for two pages. Seriously. I'm going to summarize:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Put the graham crackers, peanuts and sugar into a food processor until finely chopped. Stir in melted butter.
2. Transfer the crumb mixture into the pie pan and press evenly onto the bottom. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
3. Break the crust up into uneven pieces, each about 1 inch square. Set the pieces aside. (I'd eat some, but that's me)
4. Beat the whipping cream, increasing the speed to medium-high and adding the sugar, until it forms soft peaks. Scrape into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip and refrigerate until ready to assemble the desserts. (Who does this much work?)
5. Put the marshmallow spread into a small, heatproof glass measuring cup and microwave medium power for 30 - 45 seconds, or until warm.
6. Spoon about 1 Tbsp. of the chocolate sauce into (your mouth) the bottom of a sundae glass. Sprinkle a few of the graham peanut pieces over the sauce. Top with about 1 Tbsp. of the marshmallow spread, then a scoop of ice cream. Repeat the layering. Top with a swirl of whipped cream, and form 3 more sundaes. Serve immediately.

Amy's version:
Layer Graham crackers, peanuts, Cool Whip, Ice cream, chocolate sauce, Marshmallow fluff. Eat.

I've been reading some good mysteries, but am totally hooked on Dancing with the Stars these days. I'm hoping Apolo Ohno will win, but I keep voting for Billy Ray Cyrus. From my current weight, I realized I need to exercise, so I ordered the DWTS exercise tape. So I'm covered.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey, I know the Diner Desserts cookbook! Oh those tall layers of whipped cream and cake--so lavish! so fattening! So yummy! I've never made anything from that book, just drooled over the photos.