Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cooking with a Foreign Accent

Now, just in looking at this cover, you can tell that this book is not going to be remotely accurate or PC. It caught my eye, but the inscription on this 1959 (third printing?!?!) title from Sunset publishing really sold me. I absolutely love cookbooks with notes like "Bud hated this." or "kids will eat".

I once bought a strange looking handmade glove pouch because it still had the signed bridal shower card inside.

"Dear Brenda and Marv-

May you have a wonderful gastronomic trip around the world!

Minnie and Joe"

From May 14, 1960

Now, if I'm really bored on the desk tomorrow, I may pull up the Ancestry database and look up those names and wedding date. Just for fun.

In the meantime, a recipe. Each recipe has an icon with the country of origin name next to it. Also, they translate the foods into terms they clearly think Americans will recognize. Won Tons then become Chinese Ravioli. Seriously.

Here's: Aebleskiver, or Pancake Balls, from Sweden:

3 eggs, separated

2 cups buttermilk

2 cups flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

Applesauce

Beat egg yolks and stir in buttermilk. Sift flour, measure, and sift again with sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder. Stir lightly into yolk and milk mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in. Heat Aebleskiverpande (monk's pan) (Amy's note: Now I have two things to look up on the desk...) (Anyone want to call Williams and Sonoma and ask for that one?)and grease generously with shortening. Fill pans 3/4 full. When balls are half baked, put a teaspoonful of applesauce on top of dough, turn with a fork or sterilized hat pin (Amy's note: gross) and finish baking. Serve hot with butter and jam. The applesauce may be omitted if desired.

OK there is definitely something half baked about that 'Swedish' recipe and it's not just the balls. Now if I can only find a monk's pan. Can you just imagine what that looks like?

Chicago area author Julie Hyzy won a Derringer award. I've had the pleasure of meeting her and all her books are fabulous. She is the VP of the MWA Midwest group and a dynamo.

I'm going to start Little Klein tonight, the review copy from a beloved writer friend, Anne. I had some reviews due this week (hence the procrastinating by looking at cookbooks), and can now read for fun. I actually started my next mystery that I'm writing too, and the body is discovered with a cookbook in hand, with a strange inscription. Clearly I need to hit the antique stores to do some research.

One last note: Apolo won! Yeah - I now have 3.5 hours of my life back each week...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it when something is "Hawaiian" by the addition of pineapple, or "Italian" by the addition of plain tomato sauce. Wouldn't want to startle those 1960s tastebuds too much!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I was brought up on ebelskivers [different spelling]--they are a real family tradition for the Gustafson's [my maiden name]. When I became engaged, Mother fixed ebelskivers; when my sister's children come home for a visit, it's ebelskivers; Christmas morning--more ebelskivers. I'll find you the pan in which to make these and you will love them--similar idea to pancakes, but much better and lighter. I'll check Mom's recipe to compare it to yours. These you must try--and they're great with syrup or jelly or honey. Eat them hot or cold [the leftovers are good, too!].
Pam

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I just found your post because I bought this book today and was looking for a picture of the cover. It also made me laugh.

As for ebelskivers (my family's spelling as well), they are tasty. My mom likes to make them. You can get a cast iron ebelskiver pan pretty easily -- in fact, I swear I saw them at William Sonoma last Christmas! I know they have them at kitchen stores and better-stocked department stores.

Happy eating!

PS -- I love your blog! I'm a big collector of vintage cookbooks, so I plan to check back a lot. I often post about vintage cookbooks on my blog too.