Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Picnic Season


While I'm returning to some normalcy after adopting our second son, I am also returning to my cookbooks and typical summer activities.
This is from a series of McCall's books from the early 80's. The Picnic and Patio Cookbook had so many disgusting recipes to share that it was hard to choose. I wouldn't want some of these indoors either.
My first favorite is from the 'Backyard Beverages' section.
Hawaiian Coffee
1 cup double-strength coffee, chilled
1/4 cup pineapple juice, chilled
1 tablespoon sugar
**Now that is enough to turn most normal folks away, but there's more.
1/2 pint cherry-vanilla ice cream
4 maraschino cherries with stems, drained
I never like a recipe that includes an ingredient 'with stems'
1. Combine coffee, juice, sugar and ice cream in medium bowl; beat with rotary beater until smooth.
2. Pour into 4 tall glasses. Garnish each with cherry.
Thank goodness they explained how to do this one.
I've been getting emails from folks all over who have some of my same cookbooks, or who love vintage cookbooks in general. Thanks for bearing with my non-writing. I believe I'm back to writing about these wonderful books and even maybe making a few things from them. Maybe not this one though.
What is everyone reading? I finished Laura Levine's latest mystery, Killing Bridezilla. Her one liners are priceless.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Wow...that is quite a concoction. Perhaps it's a situation where the sum is greater than its parts?

Amy said...

Maybe, Joe, but you can let me know after you try it...I just don't think pineapple and coffee go together!