Friday, June 27, 2008

Practically Cookless Cookbook



Another fine volume in the McCall's cookbook series: Practically Cookless Cookbook. This is a picture of 'Lima-Sausage Pie'. I don't know about you, but I'm not all that eager to eat this in a very cooked version, let alone a 'practically cookless' version. However, it still does seem to have lots of cooking involved. It's in the section on Cooking with Frozen Vegetables.

1 pkg (8 oz.) brown and serve sausages

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 1/2 cups sliced onion (oh boy)

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen lima beans

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons flour

1 pkg (1 7/8 oz.) dried cream of leek soup mix (Really? Does such a thing still exist? Why?)

9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut sausages into 1/2 inch pieces. In skillet, met butter, add sausages and 1 cup onion. (turn on fan) Cook, until onions are golden. Add lima beans and salt, cook covered about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add flour and soup mix; stir until well mixed. Add 1 cup water; bring to boiling, stirring. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish top with rest of onion rings. Serve hot.

I don't think this one needs further commentary.

While of course I'm thrilled to have a new baby, it is a bit odd to be home while many friends and colleagues are at ALA in Anaheim (DISNEYLAND!!!). Several are contacting me so I won't feel left out, and while I don't miss some of the meetings, it's odd to think that instead of changing diapers and dealing with a very colicky little guy today, many of them are either at Disneyland, or enjoying relaxed, lovely meals and author events. Of course if I was there I'd be wishing I was at home.

No comments: