Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy 4th of July


Readers of this blog know my favorite series of cookbooks is the Southern Heritage Southern Living from the early 80's. Each has lots of old pictures and anecdotes. I pulled out this one because the 4th of July menu is on the cover. All the old favorites are here - fried chicken, corn on the dob, pickles, melon, chocolate chip cookies, pickled peaches...?
Pickled Peaches
3 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
31/2 pounds firm, ripe peaches, peeled
This is messy, and takes a ton of time. Now if we lived on the prairie and had no freezer, that would be one thing. But we don't and I don' t know anyone would want to do this, or eat this!

A menu for a 'Kentucky Style Barbecue' is also included. Kentucky Burgoo is the main food. Again, this takes enough time to fill your entire holiday:
1 pound pork shank
1 pound veal shank
1 pound beef shank
1 pound breast of lamb
1 (5 - 5.5 pound) baking hen (as opposed to?)
4 quarts water
3 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
2 cups onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 medium-size green peppers, chopped
2 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
2 cups fresh or frozen butterbeans
1 dried red pepper pod, crushed
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (What is it with Worcestershire? Only prunes are more prevalent than this in my old cookbooks.)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (plus 1 defibrillator)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Ok - just typing those in makes me tired. I can't even imagine finding those things at my Target grocery store. Did I mention I'm having the Baptism catered this weekend?

I'm reading the fiction stories for the anthology I'm editing. And no - my story still isn't done! Enjoy your 4th. I hope nothing is pickled on your table that shouldn't be.

No comments: