Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lucky 13


Tuesday is my 13th wedding anniversary. My wonderful husband came home last night with a dozen peach roses, my favorite. I've dried and framed my wedding bouquet, which had peach roses. We had a hot, but lovely day.
We plan to go antiquing of course on Tuesday while the boys are at day care. Kyle got a big Lego kit for an anniversary present, as well as some movies. It's what he wanted. I also got a new Disney journal, as I filled my last one. It has Eve from WallE on the cover.
Many wedding anniversary buffets are suggested in the vintage cookbooks. This is a picture from the Southern Living Family Gatherings again. Take a look at those things that look like butter at the bottom.
Mint Roses
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon oil of peppermint
Yellow food coloring
6 3/4 to 9 cups sifted powdered sugar (wow!)
Granulated Sugar (get the insulin ready)
Combine cream cheese and oil of peppermint; beat well. Divide mixture in half. Add yellow food coloring to half of mixture to reach desired color. (desired color for these?)
Add powdered sugar to both mixtures, kneading by hand until the consistency of a stiff dough. Shape mixture into 3/4 inch balls; coat one side of ball with granulated sugar. Press balls into rose-shaped candy molds, sugar-coated side down. Unmold onto waxed paper immediately. Let dry 6 hours on each side. Yield: about 6 dozen.
I don't get how cream cheese can 'dry' for a total of 12 hours and still be edible.

Also, why make only half yellow?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amy, I recently read a recipe in Martha Stewart Living which was pretty much the same, just butter instead of cream cheese. Does the butter or cream cheese "cure"?? Or are you just supposed to eat them up real fast before they go rancid?