Sunday, February 08, 2009

Creole Cooking


Southern Living has many other vintage - and modern - cookbooks besides my favorite Southern Heritage set. The Creole Cookbook is from 1976 and has many interesting recipes. My knowledge of this area of ethnic cuisine is limited to the fabulous meals I enjoyed on 4 trips to New Orleans both prior to and post Katrina.
I don't remember seeing any of these, though:
Jam Omelet
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. light cream
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup strawberry jam, heated
2 tsp. confectioners' sugar
Place the egg yolks, sugar and cream in a bowl and beat until lemon colored. Beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form, then fold in the yolk mixture. Melt the butter in a frypan and add the egg mixture. Spread with a spoon, then cover. Cook over very low heat, removing frypan from heat occasionally, if needed, until omelet is cooked through. Spread the jam on half the omelet, then fold remaining omelet over the jam. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar in square design. (er, how?)
Why not just have a nice omelet, then serve with jam on toast? Also, doesn't this picture look burnt? I don't think this is a picture I would have included in the cookbook. Of course, there is a reason readers do not get to see pictures of my culinary offerings lately. One of my coworkers told me he used to love to see my failures. I said I will start posting the photos again.
Last day of the conference and while I'm tired, it's going well. More soon on all the books I'm picking up and new authors I'm learning about.

2 comments:

Home Deconomics said...

My first thought was "burnt" also. Funny that is supposed to look appetizing! Think I'd stick to crepes!

Amy said...

I have a cookbook somewhere around here devoted to crepes. You are right - why didn't they stick to that?
Have you made any? I have done some and actually had a little success (that means it was edible). I think early in this blog's life I posted about them. I need to revisit that topic!