Monday, February 09, 2009

Egg and Cheese, Spaghetti and Rice


Since my posts on the Hamburger and Hot Dog cookbook were so popular last week, I pulled out another Good Housekeeping pamphlet cookbook from 1958. This is #12, "Egg and cheese, Spaghetti and rice: Tempting satisfying and flavor-filled." Perhaps this would better be called Carbohydrates: Get out your defibrillator.
I liked the title page better than the cover, so I put that picture in instead. Sometimes though my scanner rejects 70's orange (Can you blame it?) but it turned out OK as you can see.
There are lots of weird ones in here. The beginning covers recipes on Easy Eggs. Here are some odd ones:
Spaghetti Nests: Into 8" pie plate, empty 1 can spaghetti in tomato sauce; lightly mix in bit of garlic salt. With back of spoon, make 2 or 3 depressions in spaghetti; drop egg into each; sprinkle with salt, pepper and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 F 10 to 15 minutes, or until eggs are of desired firmness.
That one, while odd, at least is edible with nothing too weird in there. Unlike:
A la King Sandwiches: Make sandwiches, using mashed canned jellied-cranberry sauce as filling; dip into French Toast mixture, page 10; saute turning once. Top with creamed chicken.
Folks, while I am a fiction writer, I do not make up or embellish these recipes. Frankly, I don't need to.
The Love is Murder conference was wonderful. We sold many many copies of the Missing anthology which will benefit organizations devoted to finding missing children. I saw so many of the great authors in there, and reread the anthology last night. If you have a mystery lover in your life, please consider buying it for a gift, or asking your library to get it. No one involved with the project made any money - including me. This is purely for charity. You can purchase it at www.echelonpress.com or Amazon. Librarians - Ingram has it too!
It looks like I agreed to many projects for the upcoming year, too. If you liked my two short stories about Alana and her antiques mall in The Heat of the Moment and Missing, she will return in a Valentine's Day novella next year at this time, to be published with novellas from Margot Justes and Mary Welk. The stories will also be interconnected. A fan threatened me at Love is Murder not to do anything else to the elderly couple characters the Oscapones in future stories. They will be featured in the novella, but I promise no future ills come their way. They even have a new relative in the story.
More on the great authors and books I acquired at the conference coming soon. I asked a few to post some weird, er, unusual recipes on here in the upcoming months for fun. Stay tuned!

No comments: