Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Vintage Ethnic Recipes

This one is still from the Hamburgers & Hot Dogs Good Housekeeping mini cookbook from yesterday's blog. The photo features 'Mexicanos'. I'm not kidding.
Season 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck with 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Shape into 6 patties; then saute to desired rareness.(Rareness? oh boy) Meanwhile, split and toast corn-bread squares (made from mix in 8x8x2 pan). Serve one patty on each square. Pour hot chili or baked beans over all. Nice with tomato soup.

While this is odd, it doesn't sound all that unappetizing. Where I'm confused is how is this Mexican cuisine?

Diversity does not play a huge part in the 1950's 1960's cookbooks, despite attempts at world cuisine.

I do now have a widget on here for Foodista blogs. It means my blog is featured over there too, and they have thousands of fun food blogs. They also have contests and games. I had to apply to be connected to them, and I'm glad it worked out. I'm getting more mail and comments from foodies all the time. I am amazed to find how many folks collect these weird old cookbooks to read for pleasure as I do. I print them all out to show my husband I'm not crazy. Of course, it does nothing to help me when he hears me open a hard to reach cabinet, find it's stuffed with vintage cooking pamphlets and say "I forgot about these!"

1 comment:

Home Deconomics said...

The 50's were definitely lacking in authenticity where ethnic food is concerned!