Sunday, March 08, 2009

Eat and Stay Slim





These drawings are from this Better Homes and Gardens 1968 cookbook. I was thinking about slimming after the fashion show experience. It was lots of fun, and lots of money was raised for our adoption agency, Sunnyridge. I wish I had toned arms and didn't have to wear industrial underwear to feel like I looked good, though. Not to mention the spray tan, which looks ok except where it streaked on my arm. So of course I consulted this excellent manual.
I'd love to know how to Eat and Stay Slim from that steak on the cover, but inside there is plenty of advice about slimming:
"Massage, by hand or with vibrators, has valuable uses (no comment), but not for reducing (still no comment, but lots of laughing). Fat won't rub off. Local deposits can't be reduced by rollers or by shaking, shimmying gadgets."
Excellent advice, but I still can't figure out what the Fat Bank drawing leads to. Also, what on earth is going on with those women in the steam room?
Here's a recipe from this one:
Beef-O-Mato Soup
Combine one 10 1/2 ounce can condensed beef broth, 2 cups tomato juice, 1/2 teaspoon instant minced onion, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; chill. Makes 3 1/2 cups, a Free Exchange.
The entire book is about Fat Exchanges and how to exchange favorite foods, etc. Did you all get that this recipe is NOT COOKED? Oy.
I think serving this type of thing would help you lose weight or eating it would cause you to lose weight in an unpleasant fashion.
I'm reading Kate Collins' latest flower shop mystery, Evil in Carnations. It's set in Indiana, and the main character Abby is fun.


No comments: