Friday, April 17, 2009

Cooking for One


The Missing Anthology launch party last night was amazing! Thank you to my many friends who came to support us. We sold out of books! Authors included: JA Konrath, Henry Perez, Bob Goldsborough, Luisa Buehler, Mary Welk, Margot Justes, Norm Cowie, Susan Miura, Susan Gibberman, Dave Case and Mike Black. The crimescene part was a big hit too.
It was very weird to go from that to a day filled with a contentious room mom meeting (and follow up phone calls), diaper changes and house cleaning. But if I had programs like that every night I'd be continually exhausted!
This lovely gem from 1984 (multiple printings, starting from the 60's) came from the library. My friend Joe pulled it for me to see, with the very sad cover. If you go to these lengths and eat by yourself, that is a bit sad, I'll agree with him. But what he doesn't get, with his single lifestyle, is that I would pay good money to get one hour to myself sometimes. Even an uninterrupted trip to the bathroom or shower would be a luxury. An actual phone call by myself. A date night out that does not involve more planning than a contentious room mom meeting... Of course I'd never trade my life with the boys. I'm just saying, the set up on this cover isn't looking too bad to me. If I had a good romance book and some Doves (which I actually have right here), I could eat there. I might fill the wine glass more, though.
I pulled out a recipe for Joe and you readers then I really need a break from the fish:
Fish Puffs
Use any leftover cooked fish or canned tuna. (Really - so cod, lobster, salmon - all the same?) Flake and season with 1 tablespoon minced onion (If you eat that much onion, there's a reason you are eating alone.), 1 tablespoon minced parsley, and a dash of pepper. Combine with an equal amount of mashed potatoes. Add 1 egg, lightly beaten, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Test for seasoning. Put in a greased baking dish and bake at 450F for 15 minutes, or until brown.
Yummy!

2 comments:

Norm Cowie said...

Mebbe they could use some leftover fish in the crime scene. Some olfactory delight.

Norm

http://fangplace.blogspot.com

Anne Marsan said...

Amen, sister! Dinner for one once in awhile, with a good book, good glass of wine, and an elegant meal would be simply delightful! I can almost hear the peace and quiet...