Thursday, April 16, 2009

Susan Boyle and Inspiration



Have you seen the You Tube clip of Britain's Got Talent with Susan Boyle? This shy unassuming 47 year old gave herself an awkward introduction, then opened her mouth to the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. The judges were blown away, and admitted they were laughing at her in the beginning.

http://www.susan-boyle.com is her fan site, and the clip is on there along with subsequent interviews. Her performance gave me the chills. Many start are writing in that she moved them to tears. I can't wait to buy her CD. I am going to listen to this each time I get a rejection from a publisher, too!

I work with many people in the 45 - 65 range at the library, and there isn't a one who doesn't have a talent or many layers. I know several artistic cooks, some writers, painters, clothing designers, musicians and more. Tonight we are having a launch party for the Missing Anthology I edited from Echelon Press, and I am so excited that two of my colleagues have wonderful stories in there also. We will also have a Missing Crimescene activity with Mike Black and Dave Case, also great authors. If you are in the area, come enjoy. Several of the anthology authors will be there.

Parties are on my mind, so I'm taking a break from the fish recipes to feature this McCalls Cocktail Time cover. That's not really a pineapple. It's Cheese Pate-molded into a pineapple. Why would anyone want to do that you ask? I don't know either.

2 pkg. cream cheese

2/3 cup prepared mustard

2 1/2 lb. natural sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

1 jar small pimiento-stuffed olives, drained

1 fresh green pineapple frond (to go on top of the processed spread...)

Combine cream cheese and mustard in mixer, beat at medium speed until well blended.

At low speed, gradually beat in grated cheese, to combine well.

Turn mixture onto wooden board. With hands, knead until smooth and pliable. (sounds yummy...)

Refrigerate cheese mixture until chilled and able to be molded - about 45 minutes.

With hands, roll mixture into a cylinder. Place cylinder flat on cookie sheet.

Mold into pineapple shape, about 5 1/2 inches long, 15 inches around at widest part (not a typo), 10 1/2 inches at narrowest part.

OK - there are lots more steps, but I think we can figure out the decorations. I just think this is a bit weird. Why not serve real pineapple in some sort of tasty appetizer?

No comments: