Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Easter Sunday Dinner



This is from my beloved Southern Heritage set again, the Celebrations volume. Here is a menu for Easter Sunday Dinner:

Baked Ham in Pastry (pictured)

Apple Aspic (also pictured, yellow stuff garnishing ham. Scary.)

Pickled Peaches (the Easter favorite)

Spinach Casserole

Frozen Fruit Salad (just go buy the bag of this)

Strawberry Shortcake

Yum yum. Now I like pastry, and I like small amounts of ham. I don't think they need to go together, and they certainly don't need to be garnished by pickled peaches and apple aspic. What's wrong with regular peaches? Talk about processed food!

Apple Aspic

1 envelope unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

1 1/2 cups apple juice

Soften gelatin in cold water. Bring apple juice to a boil; remove from heat and add softened gelatin, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a lightly oiled (really, oil?) 13x9x2 inch baking pan; chill until firm. Remove from pan; place in a small mixing bowl and finely chop. Use as a garnish for baked ham. Yield: about 1 cup.

Really. That's a lot of work for no good purpose. If you want it that bad, get some apple jelly. Chopping jello. What's next? Prunes? Oh wait...

3 comments:

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I love just about anything in a puff pastry. It's so tasty and elegant too.

Joe said...

Yikes, this is definitely not what I was envisioning...but if it were phyllo dough, I might be able to support it.

Siri said...

Awesome photo! To me, Apsic = scary. Love your blog, by the way. I've developed a new fascination paging though outdated cookbooks too.