Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fish'N'Foul Cookbook



That's not a typo, Readers. On my search for pastry covered salmon for my friend Joe, I pulled out my McCall's set, the Fish'N'Fowl volume, M13, 1981. I changed the title of the blog after reading a few recipes. It should be a crime to do some of these things to fish.

Do you know what this picture is?

Can't guess? Deviled Tuna Bake - you all knew that, right? Don't worry, I'm not putting up that recipe.

Instead, I'm posting an interesting looking salmon one.

Salmon-Apple Salad Sandwiches

(Give it a chance - you may not want to make this for the kids' lunches, but...)

1 can salmon, drained and flaked

1/4 cup finely chopped celery

1 cup chopped, peeled, tart cooking apples

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp finely chopped green onion (lot of chopping in this recipe)

1/4 cup mayonnaise or cooked salad dressing

1/2 tsp. salt

4 frankfurter rolls, split

1. In medium bowl, toss together all ingredients, except frankfurter rolls. (Good thing they told us that.)

2. Use mixture to fill frankfurter rolls. (Wow, these directions are so helpful.)

Makes 4 sandwiches.

I read Lisa Kleypas' new hardcover today. I love her historicals, and this is the best of her hardcover. Good romance in that it is funny, predictable and has a feisty heroine. Kind of like Jayne Ann Krentz, the former librarian turned author. Can't have too many of those.

2 comments:

Norm Cowie said...

Goes to show fish is way more adaptable than people think.

We made tuna grilled cheese the other day, and it tasted just like fish on bread ... kidding, it was great.

Norm

http://fangplace.blogspot.com

Joe said...

My preference is actually for fish encased in phyllo...covered is just not enough phyllo.