Monday, May 25, 2009

More S'mores

This is also from the McCall's Picnic and Patio Cookbook. It's one version of S'mores. I actually have a friend who told me she doesn't like S'mores. Gasp! Readers here know it is likely my favorite food. I have a cookbook just on S'mores, a modern one. Really, though - it is just a sandwich with melted marshmallow in it. Any combo of your favorite things should work. This cookbook uses this one:

Break chocolate bars into quarters (I like Hershey's Special Dark).
Place a piece of chocolate (into mouth, then) on each of 8 graham crackers; sprinkle with coconut; top with a marshmallow and another graham cracker.
Wrap each in foil.
Adjust grill 3 inches from prepared coals. Heat S'mores 3 minutes on each side.
Serve at once, and you'll know why children of all ages say, "S'more, please." (Yes, it really says that.)

Six minutes seems like a long way to wait to me when a microwave could zap it in like 30 seconds, but the grill feature is fun, as is the coconut.

How do you like your S'mores? Anyone else not like them? I'll bet I can find a version you do.

Saturday we had the bowling party and learned that one of J's classmates lost his first tooth in the rice krispie treats we brought to school Friday, then swallowed it! Food makes great stories.

Happy Memorial Day. I am thinking of those who sacrificed their lives for this country as well as those who are serving now far away from loved ones.

No comments: