Sunday, June 21, 2009

Our Man-of-the-Year


This is from The Complete Holiday Cookbook from Favorite Recipes Press, circa 1967, I believe. It has a menu for "Our Man-of-the-Year Celebration." Among other things, it suggests serving Make-It-Big Money Cake. When is the last time you've seen the cents symbol?
This morning I made biscuits and peanut butter fingers (see March 19 post) for my Man of the Year here. Then I'll go pick up his decorated big cookies from Target - also his request, and we'll head off to the pool party. Hopefully it will not storm again here.
Here is the Make-It-Big Money Cake, but no money is mixed in. I think it would be fun to find coins in each piece, like the baby in the Mardi Gras King Cake. I know the Heimlich, it would be ok, right?
1 package yellow or chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 6-oz. package butterscotch morsels
Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two 8 or 9 inch layer pans. Cool. Combine evaporated milk and sugar in saucepan. Place over moderate heat; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butterscotch flavored morsels; stir until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture, stirring occasionally, until of spreading consistency, about 1 hour. Place 1 cool cake layer on plate. Spread with chilled filling; top with second layer.
Frost with chocolate frosting. I love the cake stand that is pictured, too.
I am reviewing Vacations From Hell for www.teenreads.com and it's pretty funny. All stories are paranormal, too. Very different from my Disney trip, though I do think I encountered some paranormal folks there...

No comments: