Friday, July 17, 2009

Chicken Stack-Ups


In the midst of packing I found this picture. What are those red triangles, you ask? This one is pretty scary. It's from Better Homes and Gardens Make-Ahead Cook Book, 1971.
Chicken Stack-Ups
1 2 1/2 oz. package sour cream sauce mix (What is that?)
1 1/3 cups milk
1 1/4 cups finely chopped, cooked chicken
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 slightly beaten egg
1 2 1/4 oz. package cheese sauce mix
1 8-oz. can jellied cranberry sauce, diced (That's not diced in the picture, but that has to be what the triangles are -EWWW!)
Prepare sour cream sauce mix according to package directions, using the milk. Combine 1/2 the sour cream sauce, the chicken, and green pepper; set mixture aside.
Sift together flour and baking soda. Combine egg and remaining sour cream sauce. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Bake batter on a hot griddle. Place 1/2 of the pancakes in a baking pan. Spread each with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Top with remaining pancakes.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, if you chose to freeze the stack-ups. Seriously? They aren't bad enough fresh? Prepare cheese sauce mix according to package directions. Spoon over pancakes Top with diced cranberry sauce.
I thought I'd seen everything in my cookbooks. Oy.
I went for allergy testing today to get a grip on my asthma (read early June again for that drama). Forty-eight skin pricks later I know what I'm really allergic to, slightly, etc. A major one is dust. The doctor is like "Do you have a lot of books in your room?" Er - not now that I have packed them in 15 boxes, but yes, perhaps I have more than the usual people. The good news is that I will need cleaning help in the new house. The bad news is we haven't moved yet.
Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I generally say "oohhh" to your post, but this one make me gag a bit!

Happy moving.