Friday, August 21, 2009

Bohemian Sponge Cake



This is a picture of Jaternice, the Liver Sausage in the Bohemian-American Cookbook. The recipe starts with 'Boil a pig's head.' I'll pass on putting the rest in there. There are in fact several recipes with Pork Heads in them, including one where you just boil it, fill the neck with horseradish sauce and serve. I don't make this stuff up.

You'll all be happy to know Tom gave me more cookbooks yesterday. Most are normal community cookbooks, as I'm doing some research on those. I promise no more pork heads. But I did see some prunes...

Instead of meat heads today, I thought I would include another dessert recipe:

Bohemian Sponge Cake

Cream together a cup of sugar, the grated rind of a lemon or orange (the entire thing?), six eggs and six yolks, then add two cups of sifted flour, beat quite a while and pour into a buttered form, which you have sprinkled with chopped blanched almonds (love these directions). Bake forty-five minutes.

I have my books on CD ready to go for the trip to Galena tomorrow. I'll let you know which was my favorite when I return. I'm sure I'll hit some antique malls, too, though I've run out of room on the bookshelves here while unpacking the books. How did all this stuff fit in our old house? Clearly another trip to the thrift store is due for a drop off - of my husband's stuff. Have a good weekend.

No comments: