Sunday, August 02, 2009

Deviled Hamburgers on Toast


Here's another recipe from that great pamphlet my coworker gave me. (Yes, the scanner is now working!)
Even the title of this one is gross. How did folks come up with these?
Deviled Hamburgers on Toast
3 large tomatoes
melted butter (Um, how much? One pound?)
salt, pepper (Again - how about a tablespoon of each?)
1 pound hamburger
1 tsp. salt (ok)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
6 slices hot buttered toast
Cut tomatoes in half. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil slowly until browned on top (do not broil too soft) (What does that mean?). Meanwhile, mix meat, salt and pepper. Brown slowly in hot fat (Excuse me?), stirring frequently. Add mustard.
Serving suggestions: Place broiled tomatoes on toast slices. Top with browned meat mixture. Garnish with Parsley. (and Pepto Bismol)
What type of hot fat would that be?
Wow. This was under the Midnight Snack Menu, which also includes: "Celery and Olives," 'Pineapple Sherbet," "Cookies," (How many and what kinds?) and Coffee. Yum Yum. Invite me to that party.
I finished Catherine Jinks' The Reformed Vampire Support Group to complete my next Crimespree column. I had more vampire mysteries, and ended up including 3 paranormal thrillers among the five titles in this column. Will this trend never end? I like it as much as the next person, but I can't imagine what is next!

No comments: