Saturday, August 01, 2009

Amy's note: I've met so many fun writers through Echelon Press. I got to know Mary's writing through her exciting young adult series: Cynthia's Attic. Then I learned about her blog and funny Women Only Over 50 book, all available from Echelon Press, and many available from Kindle, too, including new stories. She has agreed to let me include part of a story from WOOF (Women Only Over Fifty) here along with a family recipe. Want the rest of the story? Read the book...






My grandmother lived well into her 70's, but in my family, that's like being struck down in the prime of life. Still, she taught me a lesson—one I value to this day. The best piecrust* is made with vinegar. Yes…vinegar.

But the most important thing I learned from my grandmother is that sometimes, especially on a steamy, Southern Indiana afternoon, nothing beats sitting on the front porch, rocking gently back and forth in the swing.

Add a slice of warm, rhubarb pie…and it's perfect.


*Vinegar Pie Crust
1/3 cup cold water
2 T vinegar
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 cup & 3 T shortening
3 cups flour

Cream first 5 ingredients
Add flour and mix until moistened

Find Mary Cunningham: http://www.woofersclub.blogspot.com/
Women Only Over Fifty Amazon or
Download
Mary Cunningham Books







No comments: