Monday, August 31, 2009

Party Dessert Ring


Here's a picture spread from the same Brer Rabbit cookbook I wrote about yesterday. As you scan the photo, many of these desserts look normal, or even yummy. But then there's the ice cream, and that ring with the big ice cream balls.
There are actually some molasses ice cream recipes in here. Here's a quick sample:
Brer Rabbit Molasses Milk Shake: 'Rich in iron and calcium!'
1 tablespoon Brer Rabbit Molasses
1 cup cold milk
Dash cinnamon
Combine molasses, milk, cinnamon; shake well. Serve immediately. Serves 1. (oh boy)
But back to the ring with ice cream in it:
Crispet Party Dessert Ring: 'So easy, and it always brings down the house!' (I'm sure.)
1/2 cup Brer Rabbit Molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. butter
6 cups corn flakes
Vanilla ice cream
Molasses Fruit Sauce
Combine molasses, sugar and salt; cook slowly, stirring occasionally, to 250 F. (or when a small quantity dropped into cold water forms a firm ball) (What?) Remove from heat; add butter. Pour over corn flakes; toss lightly with fork. Lightly press into buttered 8: ring mold. Cool. Unmold. Fill center with ice cream. Serve with Molasses Fruit Sauce. Serves 6 - 8.
Molasses Fruit Sauce
Break up 1 cup currant jelly with fork (never a good way to start a recipe); add 2 tablespoons Gold Label Brer Rabbit Molasses and juice of 1/2 orange. If desired, add 1/4 cup rum. (Or just drink that straight up to get through whatever party serves this stuff.)
Could you dye the ring green for different holidays?
I'm reading Julia Keller's wonderful YA, Back Home, to review. I've also been reading lots of manuscripts. I'm doing some part time work for my agent, Terry Burns, from Hartline Literary Agency. It's really interesting work, something I never imagined myself doing. Of course no one who eats my cooking would envision that I have a recipe blog, either...

No comments: