Friday, September 25, 2009

Snacks or Weird Drinks?


At first I thought this spread was for a Halloween party, but it's not - it's supposed to be an elegant spread for an after 10 party. First of all, who parties after 10 like this? (or at all - I barely make it to midnight any New Year's Eve myself...)
Secondly, look at those green drinks!
Lime Frost
1 6-oz. can frozen limeade concentrate
5-6 cups finely crusted ice
Green Food Coloring (Yes, they made it that color on purpose!)
Basically you mix this stuff up in a blender.
In this section also is this stomach turner:
Sparkling Borsch (I don't make this up!)
'Color is a lovely red, flavor's delightful'
2/3 cup finely chopped cooked or canned beets
Beet liquid plus water to make 1 cup
2 cans condensed consomme
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Sour Cream Parsley
Combine beets, beet liquid, and consomme. Heat and stir just till blended.
Add lemon juice and chill thoroughly. Soup will look jellied. (That's just so scary.) Stir before ladling into chilled cups or bowls. Top with generous dollops of sour cream; sprinkle with chopped parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Serve with dainty sandwiches and iced tea for a cool snack. Or serve as an appetizer.
Wow. There really are no words to describe how nasty that sounds. I won't even write the one here for 'Jellied Consomme' either.
It's been a rough week. A good friend and mentor passed away after fighting breast cancer for over three years. Since we adopted Owen I feel I haven't been good about dropping things off for her and didn't write her as often as I used to. So I am thinking about my other friends who have cancer and other big struggles like being laid off for months and what I can do for them now. My Mother went to the hospital for an injury and we've been trying to help Dad. The next ALA book is due next week. Its just one of those weeks where I feel inadequate. At least I got the family some food that was tastier than this, though I could hardly have found anything worse!
Stress is taking off pounds, too! We've been watching the Biggest Loser for the first time, as my brother is friends with Julio and his family, and we've met them a few times. Julio is getting the shaft from that show in the way he is portrayed, though he is losing lots of weight! He and his family are good people.

No comments: