Thursday, October 29, 2009

Apple Bobbing Party


I knew my Southern Heritage Southern Living series wouldn't disappoint me for Halloween events. And yes, Steroid Girl was up at 4, and now I'm blogging at 5. My older son just woke up a while ago with a fever and I had to settle him back down. I think I could get up at 3 and he'd still come out to see what I was doing. Also, if you'll remember the last time I was blogging in the wee hours I ordered a salmon mold online. I will try to stay off eBay this time, but after three-four days of this...

This is from the Celebrations volume, an Apple Bobbing Party. There is a menu for this party of all desserts - pictured, and a description that "celebrates the spirit of nonsense." Frankly, I know lots of situations where this is celebrated all year round, but perhaps not on purpose.

I think most folks have germ fear to do apple bobbing any more. I remember doing it at a party in high school, but not seeing it since.

I was interested in two recipes here. One, candied apples. Have you ever made these? I think we've all made the carmel apples with the odd waxy wraps from the store where you heat them up.

Candied Apples

10 apples

10 wooden skewers or sticks

6 cups sugar (Oh boy. Steroids plus 6 cups sugar. I could leap buildings.)

1 1/2 cups water

1 cup light corn syrup

2 tsp. cinnamon extract

1/4 tsp. red food coloring

Remove stems of clean apples. Insert wooden skewers. Set aside at room temperature.

Combine sugar, water, syrup and cinnamon extract in a heavy saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture reaches soft crack stage (290 degrees). Add food coloring, mixing well.

Transfer syrup to top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water, and quickly dip apples in syrup; allow excess to drop off. Place apples on lightly greased baking sheets to cool. To store, wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

Then, there's the Witches' Brew:

The description suggested that after a while, Bobbers don't care where the water goes. Perhaps they've had Witches Brew, only adding extra enhancement.

I'm not listing this one out as it has over ten ingredients, and multiple instructions including making a 'spice bag'. Get apple cider, warm it, put in a cinnamon stick. Make it easy on yourself. You'll have to clean up after all the sugared up guests anyway; save your energy for that.

Chicago Foodies will like this site:
http://gapersblock.com/drivethru/

They mentioned my Pudding Cup earlier in the week, and have lots of fun posts.

No comments: