Monday, October 26, 2009

Black Cat Cookies



Halloween Fun continues. These are from one of my favorite cookbooks, Duncan Hines Bake Shop in a Book, from 1979. While they are adorable, I think there has to be an easier way to do this, with round candies or something. I'll put up the recipe, then the DIAGRAM of how to cut the gumdrops. Have you ever tried to cut gumdrops? You practically need a clean knife for every slice...


1 package Duncan Hines Deluxe II Deep Chocolate Cake Mix (likely any chocolate will do)

1/2 cup Crisco Oil or Puritan Oil (again, Canola)

2 eggs

1 pound large (1 inch) black gumdrops or 1 bag black licorice.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry cake mix, oil, and eggs; mix well. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350F for 10 - 12 minutes, or until cookie tests done with a toothpick. Cool on cookie sheet about 1 minute, then remove to a tack to finish cooling.

Next are instructions on making orange dye. My advice - buy it or dye vanilla.


OK - This is a diagram on how to cut the gumdrops. If you follow this you definitely have too much time on your hands!
I'm off today gourmet food shopping. Yes, my life is pretty hard, haha! I begin the first of 8 holiday cookbooks next week. Want to come to one? Check out the schedule under News on my site: www.amyalessio.com. Some are filled up, have fees or have rules about being a card holder, but some are open to all.

No comments: