Thursday, November 05, 2009

Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Apples

I also found this recipe in the Complete Holiday Cookbook. I've actually been making this for years of family Thanksgivings from an old newspaper clipping.

Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
6 medium potatoes
2 (or more) cooking apples, peeled and sliced thin
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
Cook sweet potatoes with jackets on in water to cover until tender. Cool; peel and slice lengthwise in 1/2-inch slices. Layer 1/2 of the sweet potatoes in shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole. Cover with apples; top with second layer of potatoes. Melt butter in small saucepan; add sugar and water. Bring to boil; pour over potatoes. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven about 45 minutes or until apples are tender, basting occasionally.

I cut slices of potatoes and did two layers of apples, so the apples are on top. That looks nice. This is delicious. How can you go wrong with apples and sweet potatoes? Although,every time I think that about a food, I find some gross version in my old cookbooks!

Yesterday, my toddler started breathing very hard, very fast. He'd had a cold for a few days, and I knew from the spring that he needed to go to the ER. We were there for a few hours, getting him steroids (Yep, the family on steroids together um - stays well together?), tested for H1N1 - all the usual ER fun. He was up coughing a lot last night, but is doing a bit better, I think. I am ready for a day of crabby steroid baby: Mulan DVD, Playdough, Trains, check.

No comments: