Sunday, November 08, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner the Vintage Way


Before Sandra's lovely blog post about her fabulous Thanksgiving Dinner, I was writing about the first of several sample menus in this cookbook, likely from the late 60's. Here is their full traditional menu for Turkey Day:
Onion Soup
Butter-Roasted Turkey
Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Apples (recipe from a few days ago on here)
Corn-Stuffed Green Peppers
Holiday Rice
Cranberry Ring Mold with Old-Fashioned Mayonnaise
Tossed Green Salad
Pickled Beets
Buttered Rolls
Pumpkin Pie with Mincemeat (oh, dear)
Fresh Coconut Cake
Crackling Rose
Cranberry Juice
Coffee
Wow. Interesting to see how pickled beets would go over at my holiday table, but I do not have the stomach to attempt it. Also included are a few recipes like the Tagliarini I wrote about, and Diamond Cheese Biscuits. These sound easy and delicious, for a nice change with the vintage cookbooks.
Diamond Cheese Biscuits
1 cup sharp cheese, grated
1 cup sifted flour
1 stick butter (I didn't say healthy.)
Mix all ingredients well. Roll as for icebox cookies. Slice into diagonal shapes; place on baking sheet. Bake in 400-degree oven until done. Yield: 16 biscuits.
I'm not really sure what icebox cookies are, but I think you just roll the dough and cut. Bake until done - I love it when they say that. The ovens in our new home are possessed - things get slightly burned on the bottom no matter what temperature or how short the cooking duration. Perhaps the ghost of the previous owner only likes it when people make things from scratch. I'm not sure.
Today is the first of the Vintage Holiday talks. My house is filled with gourmet food, and I believe I am ready to begin on what is an entirely new venture for me. I hope I discover lots of people with great recipes and stories to share, just as I have on here.

No comments: