Sunday, December 20, 2009

Spritz Shapes




My son and I made Spritz cookies the other night, using a recipe from my Western Electric Power Company late 50's early 60's pamphlet cookbook - one of my favorites. Then I posted about it on Facebook, and was amazed at the number of comments and responses. I have two cookie presses, both from antique malls. The first, above is the Carole King press - identical to what my Mother had, with all the possible shapes. The second, below, is the Mirro Cookie Press with its shapes. That one is actually my favorite as it is wide and easy to clean. We made the poinsettias, trees, and some unpictured blue squiggles that burned in our possessed oven. While I enjoy having a vintage house in many ways, the oven is not one of them. There is a new poll there to vote on your favorite Spritz shape. My Grandma Alessio used the star and made candy cane shapes from it. I believe my favorite is the traditional squiggle in the lower right of the Carole King photo, though I get a kick out of the Bridge Club shapes and the snowman. And look at Aerobics man in the above photo, too!
Spritz:
1 cup butter (I actually think margarine or a combo of a stick of each would work better here.)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
3/4 tsp. salt (we just used a pinch)

1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract (I skipped this; I don't like it)
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Colored sugar, candies for decorating
Cream butter; add sugar. Blend in egg, salt, extracts and flour. Knead dough in hands until soft and pliable. Press dough through cooky press onto ungreased cooky sheets; decorate as desired. Bake at 400 F about 8 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen (no way).
What does that Cross shape make?

I love on Facebook one of my favorite mystery authors Julie Hyzy commented on the 'Star Trek' shape. I knew just what she meant...

Kyle and I got in a little date to an antique mall
where I found a box of handwritten recipes! Plus plenty of weird cookbooks. One opened right to a prune cake in my hand!

2 comments:

Anne Marsan said...

OMG - my mother-in-law got me a cookie press with all sorts of dies. I guess I'll be making my own Spritzes next year!

Susan said...

The "star-trek" shape is for diamond. You end up with four suits for cards (Hearts, Spades, Clubs and Diamonds).