Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Little Folks' Valentine Party


This is from the Southern Heritage Southern Living Celebrations volume and is the menu for a 'Little Folks' Valentine Party.' It consists of Pinwheel Jelly Sandwiches, Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches, Chicken Salad Sandwiches, Valentine Sugar Cookies and Hot Chocolate. Cute. I love the shapes of the sandwiches, too, and know lots of adults who would like this party as well.
I am packing today for a show at a suburb an hour away tonight, though with the snow expected to reach into the 14 inch range, I wonder if it will happen. I have another scheduled for tomorrow and one for Saturday. Then I begin Spring Holiday shows next week. We'll see. I really have cool treats to share, though, so I hope as many of these go off as scheduled as possible! I know my readers in the Northeast have been dealing with this for days already.
Here's the recipe for Hot Chocolate from scratch, for when you come in from shoveling.
3 (1 oz.) squares semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups boiling water
6 cups milk, scalded
8 - 16 large marshmallows
Melt chocolate in top of a double boiler over boiling water. Add sugar, salt, and boiling water; stir well. Cook 1 minute; add milk. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 cups.

No comments: