Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

It's the High Holiday for my family today. The big Green one. St. Patrick's Day. I have a green meeting tonight with my Teen Corps and we'll be painting a rain barrel for a green campaign at the library.
Last night I did a program at the Homer Twp. PL in Homer Glen, IL, where my librarian friend Alex works. I did my Crazy About Cakes, and I showed them my Lime Ribbon Delight triumph photo (see previous post). We all had a good laugh, and many said they were glad to see that other people have baking disasters too.

This is from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cook Book, 1959. This is a suggested centerpiece. Nice styrofoam.

Try this instead:
Emerald Isle Dessert Cups
"Perfect refreshment for the Bridge Club"
1 cup white cream mints
3/4 cup milk
Fre drops green food coloring
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
1 7-oz. package solid chocolate-mint candy wafers, or 1 6-oz. package semisweet chocolate pieces
2 tablespoons shortening
Make Mint Ice Cream: Combine mints and milk.  Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or till mints are melted.  Cool to room temperature.  Stir in food coloring; fold in whipped cream.  Pour into refrigerator tray and freeze until firm. (Amy's note: Go buy Fannie Mae's Meltaway Ice Cream. Awesome.)
Serve in Chocolate Cups:  Melt chocolate mint candy wafers or semisweet pieces with shortening over hot, not boiling water, stirring till smooth.  Cool to room temperature.  Place paper baking cups in muffin pans.  With a teaspoon, swirl chocolate mixture around inside cups, covering entire surface with a thin layer of chocolate.  Chill.
When chocolate cups harden, tear off paper.  Fill with rounded scoops of Mint Ice Cream.  top each dessert with a chocolate mint wafer. 

No comments: