Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


Yes, it's time for that huge holiday in my family - St. Patrick's Day. I have a week's worth of green or Irish foods to share, and remember I did a whole other week of this last year, too! (Check the archives for last year to get some great green desserts and foods.)

I use this picture for my Spring Holidays show. It is from the 1961 Complete Holiday Cookbook. They have MULTIPLE menus for St. Pat's Day. This photo is from Shamrock Breakfast with the following menu: Honeydew Melon Balls with Lime, Ham Slices, Irish Soda Bread, Cheese Souffle

“Leave it to your guests to provide the blarney – and Irish people are known for their ability to do it.”
Ah. I never exaggerate or provide Blarney...

My family actually loves the Soda Bread from Jewel. We've already gone through two loaves this year.

Irish Soda Bread
2 cup sifted flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ tsp. caraway seeds
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup dark or golden raisins, chopped coarsely
Melted butter
Resift flour with baking powder, soda, salt and sugar. Add caraway seeds. Cut in shortening until in fine pieces. Make a well in center and pour in buttermilk. Add raisins. Mix lightly to moderately soft dough. Turn out on floured board; knead gently a few strokes. Shape into round; fit into greased 8-9 inch round layer cake pan. Cut loaf crosswise into quarters about 2/3 way through dough using a sharp knife or scissors. Brush top surface of loaf with melted butter; sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake in 350F oven about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Janice said...

ooh I love Soda bread, must have a go at making this version. I have some vintage on my blog too, it's
HERE
if you want to see it.

susan miura said...

Blarney? Not you! This recipe sounds good -- I'm going to make it with my corned beef and cabbage, which they say is not a traditional Irish meal, but corned beef is the best meat on the planet...and that's no blarney!