Friday, March 05, 2010

Savory Turkey Divan



The casserole contest was so much fun to judge yesterday! Honestly, all of the casseroles were very good, and it was cute how the contestants got to wear toques. Judges were treated so nicely, and it was a lovely event. I hope they ask me back. I am going back there to talk about Cakes in a few weeks, but I'd love to judge another. I guess they do a different type of food each year. All were family recipes, and I enjoyed hearing the provenance of each one. When the winning casserole links go up in the local paper, I'll link it here.

Here's another from my family's old church cookbook. It's called Savory Chicken Divan, but my Mom changed it to Turkey. This is delicious. I have no pictures in this book, though, so I pulled this from Southern Living - from River Oaks Garden Club's Spring Luncheon. I love the chicken shaped sandwiches. And what on earth is that green spread on thsoe round things? Next to that is asparagus rolled in bread. I use this as the opening slide for my Spring Holidays show.


Here's Savory Turkey Divan:
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
2 c. water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 c. croutons
1-10 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli
8 lg. slices of turkey breasts
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Melt margarine in saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add water gradually, stirring constantly. Add bouillon cubes. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Spread croutons in bottom of 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Pour 1/2 of sauce over croutons. Arrange broccoli over croutons and sauce. Top with turkey slices. Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 350 F oven for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 2 cups chicken broth may be substituted for water and bouillon cubes. 4-6 servings.

I'm reviewing Julie Hyzy's Eggescutive Orders for Bookreporter.com and so far it's wonderful, which is no surprise. Julie is a Chicago writer I admire very much.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Maybe those round things are open-faced cucumber sandwiches with dabs of pesto? It looks like the cucumber was peeled in strips to give a striped edge.