Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caramel Ice-Box Cookies


The picture below is still from the 1933 Jelke Oleomargarine book. Look at the cute Iced Cocoa in the sundae blass, and the basket of cookies. I wish someone would invite me to this party!
Here's the recipe for one of the cookies: 
Caramel Ice-Box Cookies
1 cup Jelke Good Luck Margarine (yikes, that's a lot)
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda (baking soda)
1 tsp. caream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
4 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla
Cream Good Luck Margarine and sugar, add beaten eggs, continue creaming.  Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  (It will probably be necessary to knead the last of the dry ingredients into the cookie mixture.) (Interesting - why?) Shape dough into roll.  Chill.  When firm - slice very thin and bake in a quick oven (375F) until done -8 to 10 minutes.

Tonight after work I'm off to the Eisenhower Public Library where my friend author Penny Blubaugh is a librarian. She hired me to come talk about why I'm Crazy About Cakes! I actually scored some red velvet for this one in addition to the coconut petit fours, chocolate petit fours, crumb cakes and cream puffs, too...
Heard of Penny's Book Serendipity Falls? Check it out!

No comments: