Sunday, April 04, 2010

Happy Easter Ice Cream Cake

Happy Easter! This cake is from the Farm Journal Country Cookbook, 1959. It's pretty easy, take a store bought angel food cake and spread layers of ice cream in between. Here's the recipe for making frosting to go with. I love the colored almonds like easter eggs on this.

1 qt. ice cream
2 c. heavy cream
1 tblsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can or box flaked or shredded coconut
Cut cake lengthwise into three layers. Spread ice cream between layers.
Place cake in freezer to harden.
Whip cream; add sugar and vanilla; use to frost top and sides of cake. Cover with coconut; and return to freezer until whipped cream is hard.  Wrap in freezer paper; freeze.  To serve, slice without thawing.  Serve at once. Makes 16 - 20 servings.

I made the prune whip, and didn't like the color - so I dyed it purple. I'll likely write about that later this week with pictures. Just in case, I made a few quick dyed pink refrigerator cakes as my family always likes those. I picked up an Italian cheese pie with real flowers and little bunny cakes too at my favorite Italian grocery store, Caputo's. We're going to both families today to celebrate the day.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: