Monday, April 05, 2010

Molly MacRae Monday: Pun with Food


It's the first Monday of April, and that means we have the always funny and multi-talented Molly MacRae guest blogging. Tomorrow I'll write about the purple Prune Whip my family - er - enjoyed isn't the right word - ate yesterday. -Amy

There’s something fun going on with food at the University of Illinois tomorrow. The 2010 Edible Book Festival is being held at the University YMCA and my co-worker Karin and I plan to be there. It’s a perfect event for bibliophiles who love to cook.


The festival is held annually on or around April 1st to commemorate the birthday of French gastronome Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826) and to celebrate the book arts. Participants create “edible book” entries either in the shape of books (or scrolls or tablets), inspired by favorite stories, or (my favorite) involving puns on famous titles. Entries are judged in various categories – Highest Literary Merit, Best Visual Presentation, Most Appetizing, etc. – and then eaten.

Karin and I are each entering two “books” this year. I can’t tell you what they are, though, because it’s a secret. But here’s a picture of the book I entered in 2008. It actually won second prize for Literary Merit.

Can you guess the title? The components are a piece of Swiss chard and a delicious chili cheese scone. The title: The Chard in the Scone. (The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White)

My entries this year will be just as bad in terms of groans. I’ll give you a hint – one of them involves a croquette and the other an artichoke. Unless I decide to go with the bottle of rum. Or the au gratin. The crêpes? I don’t know, I don’t know. So many puns, so little thyme . . .

The University of Illinois Edible Book Festival is part the International Edible Book Festival, a global event that has been celebrated since 2000 in various parts of the world including Australia, Brazil, Canada, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, and Russia. Check out the official website at www.books2eat.com

No comments: