Saturday, April 10, 2010

Honey Bee Frosting

This is the back cover of Ma's Cookin'. I was intrigued by the Honey Bee Frosting recipe, as I do like honey, and am always interested in the sugar substitute recipes - except when they involve prunes!

Here's the caption with this one:
'Now this here is a mighty tasty icin'; an' a real handy one to use after you've robbed a bee tree an'got sum fresh honey.  Be shore an' strain th' comb out'a it', tho, as thet comb just don't go very well in icin'.

This is really no scarier than many captions I find in vintage cookbooks...

Honey Bee Icing
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup marshmallow - chopped (or use minis)
1 egg white - stiff beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup water
1/8 tsp. salt
Combine together sugar, water, and salt - place on stove.  Boil to about 238 degrees (soft ball) and add marshmallows.  Beat and pour into beaten egg white very slowly.  Add vanilla and beat until thick and creamy.  Very good on most kinds of cake.

I like most kinds of cake, too! I am neck deep in stacks of cookbooks here as I get ready for 3 different shows this upcoming week (National Library Week) - 2 of which are new shows. I start tomorrow at the Oak Brook Public Library with Preserving Your Family Recipes - a combined scrapbooking and vintage cookbooks program. My garage is filled with treats right now, including Malomars and Googoos for a Nostalgia Foods event Tuesday. I've forgotten what a normal weekend - or week for that matter - looks like! What are you cooking this weekend?

No comments: