Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ozark Apple Puddin'

One more from the Ma's Cookin' Mountain Recipes. I've been typing in a lot of pudding recipes for an upcoming show this week. For National Library Week, I have 3 shows. Today I'll be at the Oak Brook Library doing a workshop on Preserving Your Family Recipes.

Puddings were big as desserts in the 40's and 50's and my family likes them a great deal. We have several we use for favorite occasions. This one reminds me of one I baked when I was still living at home. It's so easy, and comes out like a cakey-pudding.

Ozark Apple Puddin'
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chopped apples
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat egg and sugar together until smooth, combine flour, baking powder, salt - stir into egg mixture.  Add nuts, apples, and vanilla. Bake in a greased pie pan in moderate oven (325 degrees) for 30 minutes.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

I'll be showing some of the handwritten recipe binders I have today, plus some of my cookbook history cookbooks. I get a lot of questions about Square Meals - now that nasty prune whip recipe aside, this book is such a delight to read. I've tracked down severl of these as gifts for people, though all books by the Sterns are good.Square Meals : America's Favorite Comfort Cookbook

For National Library Week, think about visiting your public library. Many are in danger of closing or having drastic reductions in service. Show your support!

No comments: