Sunday, April 18, 2010

More Fluff... and Whoopie Pies

Scarcely two weeks after my family recovered from the Prune Whip at Easter, my Mother wants another food from her past - a Fluffernutter. Also, the Fluffernutter Dressing for Fruit from the same Fluff cookook I wrote about yesterday. This 1961 gem also has this letter and photo from the President of the Durkee-Mower Co at that time:
Dear Homemaker: (I guess that would be me.)
For over half a century, Marshmallow Fluff, which is our only product, has enjoyed ever increasing popularity.

We are especially grateful to you for this and give you our promise to continue to provide the quality of product you have come to expect of Marshmallow Fluff.

Cordially, A. Bruce Durkee, President

There was actually a Whoopie Pie recipe in here:  Molasses Whoopie "Pies." I don't get the quotes either, but this does sound pretty good. I'm not a big fan of using coffee in recipes, but sometimes I think it has a nice effect.

2 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup sugar
1 cup chortening
1 tsp. vinegar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. each of cinnamon, ginger
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup hot coffee
Beat together eggs, molasses, sugar, shortening and vinegar.  Sift together flour, spice and salt. Dissolve soda in coffee. Mix all ingredients together well.  Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bakea t 350F for about 15 minutes or until done.  Makes about 3 doz. double cookie 'pies.'

Yesterday's event for the local SCBWI folks was fun and informative. I was amazed at author Brenda Ferber's video editing skills. It makes me want to make a Vintage Cookbooks trailer - to give libraries a sample of one of my shows. I'm already getting requests for holiday show dates and I have not planned out all those shows yet - this is wild!  I need to get that new 1950's dress and apron cut out at least today.

No comments: