Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fluffernutters and Whoopie Pies


Do you know what Whoopie Pies are? They are supposed to be the new cupcake. Two cakey cookies with a creme filling in the middle. Apparently (according to Wikipedia):  The recipe for whoopie pies has its origins with the Amish, and in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, it is not uncommon to find roadside farm stands offering these desserts. Amish cooking is about old recipes that have fed families for generations, with no trendy or cross-cultural fusions or mixtures. These cake-like whoopie pies were considered a special treat because they were originally made from leftover batter. According to Amish legend, when children would find these treats in their lunch bags, they would shout "Whoopie!"


**I love that last one. Whoopie indeed.

Here's some more: The question of how the Amish dessert got to be so popular in New England probably is addressed in a 1930s cookbook called Yummy Book by the Durkee Mower Company, the  manufacturer of Marshmallow Fluff. In this New England cookbook, a recipe for Amish Whoopie Pie was featured using Marshmallow Fluff in the filling.

I have a Fluffernutter cookbook from 1961 from Ernestine. There is a Fluffernutter Whoopie Pie on the Durkee-Mower website, but this 1961 pamphlet cookbook has variations on the Fluff/Peanut butter combo. Like:
Fluffernutter Shake
Pue a generous spoonful or two of Marshmallow Fluff in the blender container.  Add two tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of chilled milk.  Blend until all ingredients are mixed and smooth.  Makes 1 serving.
 
Or Pineapple Fluffernutter: Prepare a Fluffernutter. Add a few spoons of well drained crushed pineapple to each sandwich.
 
Yum yum. And then there's the nutrition chart on the back.
 
Today I'm going in to the library to help a local SCBWI group with a class for published authors on book trailers. I sure hope all the technology will work. One author is the lovely Laura Ruby - love her YA books!

1 comment:

astheroshe said...

I borrowed the cover of this book to post on my blog. I know i should have asked first. :/ I really hope you do not mind. It was a blog about whoopie pies.
I do love your blog, and i collect cookbooks. I too love the old vintage ones, and find many greats at my local goodwill. I'm always looking for a cool unusual recipe to bake. Thanks!